Although coyotes were supposed to live only in the wild, they adapted and now they can be seen also in urban areas. To protect yourself and your property from these destructive animals, try to build a coyote-proof fence.
- What you have to do first, is to learn how coyotes react around fences and see what could be your fence’s weaknesses.
It’s clear they can’t jump over high fences, but using their front paws, they can climb to the top and push themselves on the other side. Another way would be to dig and crawl under the fence.
- You need to know what options you have to build a coyote-proof fence. Some possibilities may be to modify a wire fence or a split fence or just build new ones. If you already have a fence, you may use Coyote Rollers to improve it.
- An existing fence has to be at least 5 feet high to be used against coyotes. If you don’t have such a high fence, you can always use extenders. Also, to block coyotes from digging, the fence has to be underground at least 8 inches.
- Another great solution for you would be an electric fence. These types of fences don’t have to be too high because coyotes will feel the danger the moment they touch the fence. In case you choose this option, make sure you electrify the bottom of the fence to stop coyotes from passing beneath.
- Coyote Rollers are added to the top of the fence and are based on how a coyote jumps over a fence. These rollers prevent any coyote to get over, by making them to fall down.
- See if the fence you already have installed is good to use against coyotes or if you need to build another one.