Eliminate musty smells
If your garage is a dark and damp location, there are high chances of getting mildew or mold. Affected walls and items eliminate musty smells that permeate all the items in your garage, including your car. If your garage presents persistent and musty odors, follow the indications bellow in order to eliminate these unpleasant smells.
- Verify the walls or items that can be affected by mold or mildew. Remove all the items away from affected walls and corners.
- Prepare a solution by pouring 1 cup of bleach into 1 gallon of cool water. Brush the walls with this solution until all the mildew and mold spores are removed. Wait 10 minutes then rinse off the walls with clean water.
- Ventilate the room with fans and let the door and windows opened for at least 3 hours.
- Eliminate the musty smell from the concrete by spreading some chlorinated lime on it. Leave in the solution overnight, then rinse the floor to remove the lime.
- Mix 1 or 2 cups of white vinegar with water and spray the garage periodically. You can also add essential oil to obtain a less pungent smelling spray. Repeat this procedure when you identify a musty odor.
- Absorb unpleasant doors by placing an open box of baking soda inside your garage. Replace the box monthly.
Warnings and tips
- Protect your skin using rubber gloves while cleaning the walls with chlorine solutions.
- Chlorinated lime is toxic for people and pets, so keep them away when you clean the garage.
How to remove mildew from your garage wall
Mildew usually grows in dark and damp places, such as garages, bathrooms and basements. Removing this fungus can be difficult if you don’t eliminate excessive moisture in the affected location. Use a dehumidifier to control the moisture level of the garage.
- Using bleach
Many commercial and professional cleaning solutions recommended in removing mildew contain bleach. This chemical ingredient helps removing mildew because it loosens the grip of the fungus. If you want to clean a smooth wall, spray the affected area with cleaner containing bleach and wait several minutes. Then brush the walls with a soft brush until you remove the spores. If you have to clean a cinderblock wall, let the cleaner sit longer, to allowed cleaner to soak into wall. Then scrub the wall with a brush. If you have allergies, avoid cleaning the walls with bleach or use a protection mask.
- Using vinegar
Vinegar is an ingredient very useful in cleaning mildew and also friendly with the environment. Spray vinegar on affected areas and wait a few hours before rinsing the area. Vinegar has a strong odor, which can be avoided if you ventilate the garage. In the end, scrub the walls in order to remove the mildew.
- Using soap and water
Mild mildew can be removed with a solution made of warm water and liquid soap. Leave in the solution for several minutes, and then scrub the walls with a sponge. Clean the wall until the mildew is gone. Avoid using dishwashing detergent, because it can cause unwanted side effects.
Best way to clean damp garage floor that has mildew
Wet and dark areas are places where mildew sets in. A garage with holes in the ceiling or cracked windows is prone to mildew colonies. The good news is that mildew can be completely removed, using some simple procedures. Read the following indications before cleaning your garage floor.
- Clear the area removing all the shelves and furniture and allow the floor to completely dry. Ventilate the room and place a dehumidifier to dry the floor and prevent the mildew form growing again.
- Eliminate the loose materials with a broom and clean the floor using vacuum cleaner. After removing the dirt, vacuum the mildew and debris.
- Fill a spray bottle with a solution made of 1 part water and 1 part bleach-based household. Protect your hands with gloves.
- Spray the affected area with this solution and brush the floor to completely eliminate the mildew. Persistent mildew may need several applications to disappear. An alternative to the brush is a push broom.
- Remove excessive water with a shop vac. Rinse the floor more than once, until it is clean.
- Allow the floor to dry by opening the doors and windows.
- Protect your health against mildew allergic reactions with a mask and gloves.