About electric fences
For many time now, fences were used mostly to keep animals in one location, without them wondering freely. After the electric fence has been introduced on the market, the job of keeping animals closed has become much easier, thanks to the electrical charges applied.
- First, you need to measure the entire area that will be fenced.
- When you start building the fence, first place the posts in the ground at a distance of 10 feet and then continue with barbed wire or common fencing wire, whatever you prefer. All the materials can be found at a local improvement store like Lowe’s or Home Depot.
- The most important piece is the electrical distribution unit which can be found at a hardware store. You have to see if the unit you are buying has a distribution unit, insulators and grounding materials.
- The insulators need to be applied following the instructions received, which say that you need to keep a proper wire height and insulator spacing. After this, the grounding rod has to be buried into the earth and the fence wiring connected.
- In the end, you have to connect the wiring to an electric box and test the result with a voltmeter.
- You have to be very careful with any type of weed, bush or shrub which can lower the effectiveness of the fence if it’s not well maintained.
- The insulators need to be attached to the fence posts so that you can run the wire through. The insulators are not conducting electricity, so none of the energy will be lost.
- What is very important in case of an electric fence, is that you can’t touch it when the power is applied.