Treating mildew on plants
When treating mildew on plants the most important thing is to use a cleaning product that will not harm the plant.
Tools and Materials Needed:
- Oxygen Bleach (Liquid or Powder)
- Spray Bottle
- Measuring Cup
- Hot Water
For plant cleaning you can use oxygen bleach, a superior alternative to chlorine bleach that is non-toxic and will not harm the plants. Although it is safe to be used on any object that can be water cleaned, and it also doesn’t create dangerous fumes, it is best to take precautions.
Mixing the bleach
To obtain a perfect mix of the bleach, mix 2 ounces (50 milliliters) or bleach per quart of gallon (1 liter) of water. Make sure that you use hot water to activate the chemicals.
Applying the bleach
Spray the bleach on the affected parts. Let it sit for about 15 minutes to better remove the mildew. Avoid positioning the plant in direct sunlight to avoid the mixture from drying on the plant.
Use plaint cold water to rinse the plant. You may use a little water pressure on the branches and trunk to better remove the solution.
To prevent mildew from reappearing you should avoid positioning the plants in shady, warm and moist environments. If you have house plants, then use a dehumidifier to lower the moisture in your house. Also by placing the plants in direct sunlight you prevent mildew from reappearing.