Building log furniture
If you want to build yourself a rustic piece of furniture, then you should know that the process isn’t very easy, and if you are a beginner, then you should start with a table.
- You will need to find a large log for the furniture’s top. You can find them at garden centers.
- You can also use smaller logs for table legs and support. Look for them in firewood bundles.
- You will also need a table for working.
Preparing the logs
- Cut the logs to the appropriate length. Measure twice before cutting.
- Examine the logs and the log slice for rotten parts and for damaged parts.
Fixing the legs
- Draw a square on the underside of the log slice.
- Then place a leg inside one of the corners.
- Now drill into the leg parallel to the table top. Begin to angle the drill down to the table top. This will create a diagonal drill hole from the leg into the top
- Repeat the step on the other side of the leg.
- Use 2 inch screws to fix the leg to the table top. Use the pre-drilled guide holes.
- Measure a support rung log against the distance between the table legs. Cut it to size.
- Cut the support log a bit longer than the gap that needs to be placed in. Use a small hammer to push it in place.
- Use 3 inch screws to fix them.
- Repeat the steps.
- You can place the support rungs at different heights to increase stability.
- To protect the table, you can add a layer of varnish or maybe paint. This will assure that it’s protected against water damage and also pests.