Calculating square footageCalculating square footage is the easiest job in a construction project. All you need is a pen, a calculator, a paper and a tape measure.
Square and rectangular areas
- Measure the length of the area and then write it down on a piece of paper.
- Do the same thing for the width of the room.
- Now, to find out the square footage, just multiply the length by the width.
- First, measure the base of the triangle.
- Now measure the height of it.
- To get the square footage, multiply the height of the triangle by it’s base and then divide it by two.
If you have a room with a weird shape, then split it into simple shapes, like a triangle, square or rectangle. Then calculate their square footage separately and sum them all. Be sure to convert the feet and inches measure into inches before multiplying and after calculating the square inches, divide by 144 to get the square footage.
Also you need to think of buying more material for your floors. Let’s say like 10% more. This is just to make sure that you have enough material for the job.