How safe is your house?
The answer to this question can be given only after your house is observed during the day, as well as during the night. This is exactly what a burglar would do, when he is interested in breaking-in. Through this action, he wants to see what type of security you have on your house and what schedule your family members have.
- Is your home protected by a security system?
- Do you and your family use the security system all the time?
- Are the locks working properly?
- If someone passes the house, can the window decals and sign in the yard be seen by him or her?
- If you have a pet door, is it protected by the alarm system?
- Are there any bushes near the house that can be used as hiding places?
- When the whole family leaves the house, are the lights and television on timers?
- Is there someone to take the mail and the daily newspaper when the family is away?
These are a few of the things that can help you escape from being a victim of a burglary. Next to these ones, there are a few other steps that can make your home more protected against such events.
A very useful way of improving the security system would be some outdoor lighting. Two of the most used ones, are the motion lighting and entrance way lighting which do not cost so much. The favorite targets of the burglars are the houses which have no outside light and with high bushes. These give him an advantage when he wants to break-in because he can’t be seen very easily.
When you want to secure your house, you must not forget the back of it. The best way to protect it is privacy fencing. If this fence has a gate, it’s very important to keep it locked because this way you will force the burglar to try and climb the fence. This can be too risky for them and this is why no burglar will try to get on the other side of the fence.
Another great idea would be some outdoor and indoor cameras. If a protection system like this is connected to a video view, you will be able to watch your entire house on a television or from a laptop or desktop. These cameras are very scary for burglars because they don’t want to be filmed and then arrested. This means they will avoid as much as they can the houses with surveillance system.
To make the system easier to use even for the kids, a key-chain remote is highly indicated. This means that every member of your family can activate the system and not only the adults.