Glazing kitchen cabinets
If you want to add depth and character to your painted cabinets, then giving them an antique look will go a long way. Use some colorant and glaze to do this. You should remove the doors and door knob before you start painting them.
- Use oil-based glaze for lighter cabinets. This will darken them. Glaze is a substance to which you add color. Because it remains wet a long time, you can work with it and achieve the desired effect.
- You can start adding the oil stain to the glaze. You can experiment on different mixes and colors on the inside of the cabinet’s door or on a scrap wood. Practice applying the glaze and see how that looks.
- For an easier finish, remove the pulls and knobs. Also take the drawers out of the cabinet. Before you start applying the glaze, clean the cabinets with a mild degreaser or denatured alcohol.
- Use a bristle brush to apply the glaze. Work it well into the grain and corners. Wipe the glaze with a clean, lint free rag. Do this until you get the desired finish. Work with one piece at a time but be sure to be consistent.
- Glazing painted cabinets can be done in the same way only that you will need to use acrylic water based glaze instead of oil. Always choose a color several shades darker. Experiment first.
- Keep in mind that acrylic based glaze will darken as it dries so first experiment it and then see how you should apply it. This glaze will also dry a lot faster. If you are not satisfied about a section, then you can use a rag and hot water to remove the fresh glaze.
- Don’t aim for uniformity. A more naturally aged look is much more pleasant.
- think if the new antiqued cabinets will look good with the rest of the kitchen.
- to add extra resistance to the glaze, you can varnish the entire work.
- you will need to mix plenty of glaze at once because it will be difficult to match your original mix.
- use only lint free rags.
|applying glaze on cabinets, glazing cabinets, glazing kitchen cabinets, kitchen cabinets, making kitchen cabinets look antique, making kitchen cabinets look older, painting kitchen cabinets, preparing the glaze mix for cabinets|