Building a staircase basement staircase
The first thing that you will need to consider when building your own staircase is that the plan needs to adhere to local building codes. The internet is the best way to check your local building regulations. You may need to hire a professional to help you, but in most cases you should be able to do the job by yourself.
- The first thing you need to do is make some measurements and decide on the place where the staircase will be constructed. Determine the position of the staircase. Will it be built along a wall, will it be L-shaped, with bug landings, spiral staircase. Consider all of these options. Also consider the balusters and the handrails.
- Measure the distance from floor to floor and make a layout of the staircase. Measure how long the stairs will be. To get the number of steps you needs to divide the total stair rise to 7. This is the number of inches perfect for the risers.
- Next measure the total lengths of the stringers and then the tread width. Remember that the number of risers is one shorter than the number of treads, because the first step is considered the basement’s floor.
- Now use the framing square to lay out the stringers for your stairs. You can do this by replacing a square gauge at the tread width measurement and the riser measurement and by tightening the square gauges onto the outer edge of the framing square. Go down the stringer and use a pencil to trace the outer edge, when the gauges are in place. These will be the steps. Then you will need to place the stringers on top of each other and fix them with nails or clamps. Use a saw to cut the traced lines.
- Nail the stringers in place. Connect the stringers directly to the top floor joists or to a metal strip connecting them to the floor joists. Take a 2×5 bottom plate and fasten it to the floor. To this board will be attached the bottom of the stringers. Next you will need to install the risers and then work your way up the steps.
|basement staircase, building a basement staircase, how to build a basement staircase, how to build a staircase, staircase, staircase building codes, staircase measurements, staircase regulations, staircase steps, staircase stringers|