Choosing finials for staircase newel posts
Finials are the finishing touches that will give your staircase class and elegance. Finials can be found in many shapes and sizes and they will fit any decor. In the following article you will find tips on how to choose the right finials:
- First of all you should consider the size of the staircase and choose finials that match it.
- For staircases with curved banisters or spiral ends you should choose curvy and rounded finials. Finials need to follow the design of the staircase.
- Also pick carved finials for carves staircases. This needs to be done if you have staircases with lots of detailed work.
- The last thing that you should consider is choosing the finials made from the same wood family as the staircase. This is especially important if you plan on staining the staircase and the finials. The grain will look different on different types of wood. Matching the original type of wood is vital.
- if the newel posts are designed with a ball or cap, then you do not need to add a finial.
- never use finials on turned out banister ends. The swirly end caps will not require additional pieces of work.