Installing a spiral staircase
A spiral staircase is a perfect feature for every home. You will surely enhance the look of your house. Nowadays you can order a spiral staircase kit and easily install it into place.
Tools and materials:
- Spiral staircase kit
- Safety goggles
- Tape measure
- Steel ruler
- Drill with bits
- Plumb line
- First of all you will need to measure the distance from one floor to another. You need to measure the distance from floor-to-floor not from floor-to-ceiling.
- You will need to calculate the height of the risers or the distance from one tread to another.
- Now think about the number of risers. Add the landing and you get the number of treads. Example: 15 risers – 16 treads.
- Determine where to attach the landing. Choose a corner of the wall opening and then use a plumb to mark the center of the post.
- Now position the base plate on the floor on the marked area. Use the hardware provided in the kit to secure it to the floor. Insert the pile.
- Add the treads by alternating them to distribute the weight evenly. Add one to the left and then one to the right until all the treads have been installed.
- After all the treads have been added, install the support for the newel post.
- Fasten the top landing into place. Use brackets and screws to secure it.
- Next line up the treads. They will need to overlap their front ones by 1 to 3 inches.
- Install vertical rods to secure the treads. The distance between each tread needs to be exactly the same.
- Now starting from the bottom to the top, install the handrail.
- Then install the landing handrail.
- Complete the installation by installing the newel post into place.
- To shorten the vertical rods you can use a hacksaw
- always wear safety goggles
- avoid damaging the finish in the installation process.