Installing a second phone lineIf you studied a little bit the phone jacks, you have discovered that there are 4 wires. The red and green wires are used for the primary line, and the yellow and black wires are used only in case of a second line.
There is a small chance that you will need a second line on a home phone, but some people do.
The process of installation is very easy and ca be done even by the most inexperienced.
Activating the new phone line
First of all you will need to call the phone company and tell them that you need a second line. Choose the extra options only if you really need them. More options mean higher costs. They will then tell you the new number. Tell them that you will do the wiring by yourself.
A technician will come to your house to check for service at the Network Interface Device (NID) on the side of your house. After this, you can start the wiring.
Change your phone to the new line
If you want to install the new phone in a different room, then follow these easy steps.
- In that room, find the desired jack for the second line.
- Then, unscrew the faceplate from the wall.
- On the back of the jack, unscrew the red and green wires and make sure the black and yellow are now connected.
- If you need to connect the black and yellow wires, simply strip about 3/4″ of insulation off with wire strippers, and connect them to the screw that already has the same colored “jumper” wire on it.
- Don’t screw the plate back on yet. First check for a dial tone.
- Plug a land line phone and listen for a dial tone. If it has one, then call your other line.
- Wrap the red and green wires back down the phone cable and tape the ends with electrical tape.
- Put the faceplate back to the wall.
Now you have to remove the black and yellow from the phones where you don’t want the second line. Do this for every outlet. Then check for tone on every phone.
If your home can have two phone numbers, than it is not necessary for you to remove the wires for the second line. The phone does the work and identifies the line that is called.
If you want to have two lines in one room and don’t want any extra wiring, then go to a local hardware store and buy a dual phone jack plate. It has two jacks on it, one on top of another. Simply hook the red and green to the top jack and the yellow and black to the bottom jack.
|business phone line, how to install a second phone line, phone lines, second phone line, secondary phone line, two lines in one house|