Some of the most important investments that you will need to do for your house, are for a central heating system and for a cooling system. That’s why you need to choose a system that is most energy efficient.
Why is energy efficiency so important?
When you buy a heating appliance, the total costs will have more components, like the purchasing price, costs associated with repairs and maintenance, and the costs for operation.
All products have standards that they need to meet. There is a minimum efficiency standard for every heating product. But there are some that are more efficient then the majority. The difference is in the components they are made of, motors, compressors, pumps and valves. These less obvious features will make the difference.
Real energy efficiency
Every product is verified by the Department of Energy and they perform some tests. The results are reported on the Energy Guide levels and they are also reported through fact sheets provided by the manufacturer.
If you want to get an energy smart deal on home and cooling systems, then you must know a few things. You will need to ask your builder about different products and also about fact sheets and directories that you can consult. Compare different models and products and see which one os more energy efficient. Don’t forget about the costs.
Before you buy the products, conduct an energy audit that will help you detect the energy waste and gauge the efficiency of your current heating and cooling system. You can buy some special kits, or maybe your energy provider will make a free test.
Check the caulking in your home and insulation. Make any repairs if necessary. Maintenance is very important for insulation as it can really cut costs with energy in your home.
Ask for low-interest loans or cash rebates on different products.
There are a few terms for heating systems:
- AFUE – annual fuel utilization efficiency – for furnaces and boilers
- EER – energy efficiency ratio – for air conditioners
- SEER – seasonal energy efficiency ratio – for central air conditioners and heat pumps
- HSPF – heating seasonal performance factor – heat pump heating
How to lower your monthly bill
There are a few things that you can do to lower your monthly bill:
- The air conditioner unit should not be in the direct sun light. This will reduce the workload. Filters are important components and need monthly cleaning as they will reduce the energy waste.
- vacuum your air vents, baseboard heaters to increase heating efficiency.
- annual maintenance is very important for heat pumps, furnaces and boilers.
- seal leaky ducts and assure that the airflow distribution is operating at peak efficiency.
- check the insulation in your basement and attic and see if it’s damaged.