Duncan Phyfe autentic furniture
A carpenter and a designer, Duncan Phyfe can be recognized as one of the most popular furniture manufacturer in the world. Although he created many styles, he stood out by the fact that he is known as an expression used to identify Regency and Empire furniture. He used almost only high-quality mahogany wood to make furniture.
- The first thing to do is to check out the wood. Duncan Phyfe used only rich red mahogany to create his furniture.
- You should also take into account the shape of the legs. Duncan Phyfe usually created legs that resembled bird-claws, dog or lion feet.
- Watch very carefully the tables and sofas. Duncan Phyfe tables usually have three or four legs, curved into a vase shape and two pedestals that support the table. On the other hand, Duncan Phyfe sofas have an elegant aspect with low backs and rolled arms.
- One of the most important characteristics of a Duncan Phyfe piece of furniture is that the carvings are worked manually. The back of the chairs for example, have the form of a harp or lute. Duncan Phyfe used very often carved drapery and acanthus leaves to decorate his pieces.
- Finally, ask the help of a respected furniture dealer to find out when a piece was produced. The last pieces of Duncan Phyfe furniture were made during the last year of his life, in 1854. Another clue to check out the authenticity of the furniture is the fact that the wood should have a specifically old aspect.
|carved drapery, Duncan Phyfe autentic furniture, Duncan Phyfe furniture, Duncan Phyfe sofa, Empire furniture, furniture legs, furniture manufacturer, high-quality mahogany, manually worked carvings, Regency furniture, rich red mahogany, rolled arms|