Usually, fish get sick when there is not created the proper balance. Stress can favor the appearance of disease. Furthermore, unfit environment can increase the chances of your fish to fail in fighting against certain pathogens.
The quality of the water is very important. This is due to the fact that it can determine certain metabolic blockages and in the end the death of your fish population. Adding up, the best way of keeping your fish healthy is to control the environment they live in. The proper temperature can make wonders. It is true that in an aquaponic system due to the water recirculation there are fewer risks of disease. Anyway, this does not mean it could not happen.
There are three important factors that can lead to fish disease: fungus, bacteria and parasites. Those can get into your aquaponic system when you replenish your fish stock or when you change the water. Keep in mind that those three can easily develop and live on your fish container. This is the reason why you should properly clean it before you set up the system.
How to prevent disease
- Get your fish from a hatchery that is known for its quality.
- Look carefully at your fish before inserting them in the system. Sick fish can transmit diseases to healthy fish.
- Some recommend placing new fish in a separate container for a month or so. This will allow you to examine their behavior and determine whether they are healthy or not.
- In order to avoid parasite transfer from new fish, you can opt for doing a salt bath to the new comers.
- Make sure your water gets purified before inserting it into the fish tank.
- Make sure that filtration and aeration are working properly.
- Do not over feed your fish.
- Make sure that your fish get enough light, but not from a direct source.
- Do not allow other animals to enter in the area where your system is set up.
How to spot diseases
- Look for modifications on the body of every fish. The change of color or the appearances of ulcers are the most indicative signs of a disease.
- Check for their body status. Usually, when a fish gets a disease, its body starts to have an odd posture.
- Eyes can tell you a lot, too. If they are swollen, it should definitely trigger an alarm signal.
- Lack of appetite should suggest you that your fish is sick. They normally enjoy the feeding time and gather all up to the surface.
- Look for fish that stay against the tank`s walls.
Bottom line, if you want your system to work smoothly, taking care of your fish is a must. If they are happy, everything will be just fine. Be careful what and when you insert in the fish tank. They are sensitive and enjoy a proper balance. So, look for creating the perfect environment that is not in the harmful way of bacteria or parasites.
|aquaculture, diseases, fish|