Flat roof repairs
A roof leak is a big problem and it should be handled immediately. Water damage can lead to bigger structural problems. The integrity of your home is in jeopardy.
Now in order to find the source of the leak, you will have to know a few tips.
To find a leak, just go in your attic and look above the water stain. This is the most obvious place to look. You can also look underneath the roof for any moisture near the plumbing vents, chimneys. It can also be a problem with the roofing material. If you cannot see the source of the leak, maybe the roofing material is damaged and water gets through it. Also keep in mind that water can travel a long distance. For more effectiveness, you can make some measurements on your ceiling to position the stain and then use the same measurements in your attic.
This was the hard part. Identifying the leak source is difficult and also it’s important to be sure that you have found the right source. Now, if you cannot do the repairs immediately, you have a couple of options.
You can control the flow of the water by attaching a piece of string near the stream of water. This will redirect the water on the string. Put a bucket under the string. This will gather all the water in the bucket.
You can also drill a hole in your roof to allow the water to flow through. This will help you stop the water spread along your ceiling, and your attic. Place a bucket under the hole.
If you can do some serious repairs, then follow the next steps:
- Use the measurements done to to observe the roof. You can use a binocular or you can get up on the roof. But be careful when you do this. If the roof isn’t resistant you can end up injured.
- Look for leaves and debris that could be impeding the flow of the water. You will need to remove them.
- Also ice dams can be a problem. If ice dams form at the lower edge of the roof, they will obstruct the water flow.
- Check the metal flashings. Check for open joints where they connect to pipes and chimneys.
- If you see spots that are covered in black flashing cement, then this is a sign that repairs have been made before. Applying flashing cement is only a temporary solution. You will need to make some serious repairs.
- Place a dab of flashing over nails and fasteners near satellite dishes, antennas or other object that are fixed to your roof.
- Check for missing shingles. If you roof is made from wood, then check for cracks, chipped or warped shingles.