Main advantage of portable air conditioners
Garages are closed environments, and due to insulation and excessive moisture, condense cover the walls and the tools inside the garage. Condensation is the main cause of mold, mildew and nasty odors. These effects can be prevented if you ventilate your garage proper, avoid high temperatures and apply chemicals that reduce humidity inside your garage.
- Eliminate the sources of mildew, by sealing the holes and cracks. Also insulate the room to avoid humidity and excessive moisture.
- Eliminate all the moisture in the room by placing a fan in the window and a dehumidifier in the room. Proper ventilation will reduce excessive moisture, keeping the air dry and clean.
- Bags and open containers of silica gel or activated alumina, placed on shelves or hanged in the garage will absorb excessive humidity. Empty the containers when they become full and refill the bags.
- Keep the air cool by installing an air conditioner to prevent mildew and mole from setting in.
Warnings & tricks
- Silica gel or activated alumina can be found in home improvement or craft stores. Those substances are toxic, so place them out of pets and children reach.
Using an air conditioner to reduce moisture
The role of portable garages is to offer you keeping storage and workplace anywhere you want. If you have a source of electricity you can keep the air cool inside these ready-made structures. Before buying an air conditioner for your portable garage, measure the cooling capacity of your garage. An alternative solution is to purchase a portable air conditioner.
- The power for your air conditioner can be provided by a solar-system, a wind turbine, a generator or the city grid. If you want to hook up to the city grid, call an electrician to help you with this aspect.
- Measure the interior of your garage to determine the BTU (British Thermal Units). Insert the values into computer and find out the result. Check the table to find the BTU requirements and add 4000 to obtain the rating of your garage.
- Pick a specific type of air conditioner, depending on the size of your garage and the placement of your window. In case you don’t have a window, choose a type that needs no window.
- Read the instruction manual to find out how to install your air conditioner. Install all the components following the indications. The procedure is more complex for split air conditioning systems and less complex for portable air conditioners.
- Check the device before plugging it and then turn the air conditioner on.
Warning and tips
- If you choose to connect to city grid, find details about possible electric restrictions in your area.
- If you live on a rented property, call your landlord before performing any modification.
- If your air conditioner is too large, your garage will not get proper ventilation.
Changing air conditioner options
If you want to make your garage cool and comfortable, especially during hot summer days, it is very indicated to buy an air conditioner. Manufacturers provide various models that will fit the size and design of your garage.
- Window air conditioner
Window units are recommended for occasional cooling of your garage. Small models are affordable, with prices starting from $150. If you need to cool the entire garage, purchase a model with more capacity and more power. With prices starting from $350, you can get an air conditioner that will cool even a 550 square feet room.
- Wall mount units
With prices starting from $450, you can easily buy an air conditioner that will make your entire garage cool, even if you don’t have a window. Wall mount air conditioners require a hole in the wall to eliminate vapors. You can cut through the wall by yourself or you can call an expert to help you.
- Evaporative cooling devices
“Swamp coolers” or evaporative coolers can help you save money and electricity. They are very popular in dry states, such as California, Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico. The main advantage of this type of cooler is that it recycles the air and releases cool air and moisture into the room. This cooler is affordable, with prices starting around $200.
- Portable units
These “plug and play” coolers can help you save some money while keeping your garage cool. The main advantage of portable air conditioners is that they can be placed in different corners of your garage. A drawback is that they are quite noisy and not very efficient in keeping low temperatures in the entire garage. Despite this inconvenient, portable air conditioners are affordable, with prices starting from $450.