Natural elements for the rock fence
People have been using rock fences for a long time. Although they have a lot of piles stones which need to be arranged, the fence is quite easy to build. Because this type of fence uses only natural elements to define property, it will make the garden look great.
- Don’t rush up in building the fence right away. Start with a rock wall around the garden and decide whether you intend to build an entire rock fence or not.
- First of all, you need to start digging a trench for the fence. A normal rock fence does not exceed 1 to 2 feet high, so the trench doesn’t need to be too big. With one foot wide and 3 to 4 inches deep, a trench is very good for a small wall and if you want a bigger one then you should dig up to 6 or 8 inches.
- The trench needs to be filled with large stones fitted together so they form a base which can support the next layers.
- To increase the stability of the wall, the stones need to be used in decreasing size from bottom to top.
- The stones on top of the base need to be piled once you work your way along the wall’s length. The stones need to have different sizes and shapes so that you won’t build any horizontal or vertical seams because these will make the fence unstable.
- There has to be no space left unfilled with smaller rocks.
- There may be a way to take your necessary rocks from farmers’ fields, where they have been piled over the years. If this doesn’t work, you may need to get the rocks from a quarry or a construction company.
- The rock fence can have on top a row of flat stones or just small stones. A rock fence gives you the possibility to do whatever you like with it.
- To help you make the measurements, take into consideration that a ton of rock is enough for 15 cubic feet of fence.
- When working with heavy stones, you need to always wear safety boots and gloves and use only proper lifting techniques.