Pressure wash a fence
A pressure wash can help you make wood, stone or brick fences look like new.
- A fence has to be cleaned from time to time and this is why you should make a plan on how to clean it better, taking into consideration the drainage and the possibility of doing this on both sides of the fence. It would be better to work toward the drainage so that there won’t be any problems with the built-up of water.
- You have to choose a nozzle or a tip with a small angle because this way you will have the most power. In case of wood fences, you should use a PSI lower than 2000 but in the case of other materials the pressure can be higher than that. It’s possible that you find a pressure washer with own nozzle for different types of surfaces.
- When you connect the nozzle, it’s better to attach any accessories like a brush attachment.
- For your own safety, you should have eye-wear and gloves and verify carefully all the connections so that the nozzle won’t get loose and do damage.
- When you start the pressure wash, do a test first and then point the wand toward the fence and spray from 3 or 4 feet away. Do like this for a while and then stop and check if the fence is clean. Using only water, make some passes so that in the end the fence will be completely clean.
- After you have completed your job with the pressure washer, use some chemicals to treat the surface you have just cleaned. Be careful because you have to use a chemical that corresponds to the surface material. Do this by using the injector or a special nozzle.
- You have to do the same thing for the chemical that you did for the water. Do a test by spraying away and then point the wand toward the fence and start pressure washing it. Do some methodical passes so that you cover the whole surface of the fence.
- Wait approximately 5 or 10 minutes and then pressure wash the fence again to rinse away the chemical you just applied.
- Let it dry for at least 48 hours before you paint, stain or just seal.
- When you pressure wash the fence, do this from a high point to a low point.
- The pressure-washing has to be done at a downward angle so that the force of the pressure won’t do
- any damage.
- If you find a place on the fence where you can’t wash it, don’t get closer to it because you may damage it.
- Try to use pressure washers that are approved and the chemicals to be biodegradable. You may have chemicals that damage your pressure washer or chemicals that damage the environment.
- Be careful around people or animals with the pressure washer because injuries can happen.
- Before starting the pressure washing, verify what is over the fence.