Take out deck by cutting with skill saw
Today, as more and more people choose to live in a house rather than in an apartment, a garage is often taken into consideration. Venting a garage is important, not only for the obvious advantages that it brings (cool and fresh air, proper storage area), but also because is a method of saving money. Ridge vents have lately become popular, mainly because they can be hidden by the shingles at the ridge of the roof.
But first, let’s see what you’ll need:
- measuring tape
- skill saw
- roofing nails
- Start by removing the shingles that compose the ridge cap of the roof. Now measure the space you need for your ridge vent and mark it with chalk. You have to do the same for the other end of the roof.
- Pull the line of chalk from one mark to the other and pull it tight. Pop a chalk line and cut it with the skill saw. Do this operation on both sides of the ridge. If you think that the line of chalk is too short, it’s recommended to pop shorter distances.
- Now you have to take out a deck by cutting this part with a skill saw.
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions and install the ridge vent according to them. If you think that one of the edges appears to be a threat for leaks, you can apply roofing tar under the respective edge.
- Make sure that you don’t block the vent area under the shingles and start replacing the ridge cap shingles. For extra ventilation you can install a fan for pulling the hot air out of the garage.
- To avoid the creation of dents, be very careful when you drive the nails into the ridge vent!
- Make sure you always have your safety glasses at hand!