Mildew can grow on any surface as long as it’s moisture, dim light and also a warm temperature. Wood is one of those mildew-prone surfaces.Treating wood may be a more complicated problem but it’s not impossible.
Tools and Materials Needed:
- Oxygen Bleach (liquid or powder)
- Spray Bottle
- Hot Water
- Measuring Cup
If the mildew has grown under the paint surface, then you will need to remove it. Use sandpaper to sand the varnish and the paper off the wood.
Chlorine and oxygen bleach
Between the two, oxygen bleach is the safest to use. Oxygen bleach is non-toxic and will not harm the wood fibers. Chlorine bleach eliminated dangerous, toxic fumes and will affect cloth fibers and also wood fibers. Never use bleach, no matter what type, with ammonia.
To make a mixture of water and bleach, use 50 ml (2 ounces) of oxygen bleach and one liter of water. Use hot water and also add a little dish soap of cloth detergent. Put the mixture in a spraying bottle.
Cleaning the wood
Spray the solution onto the wood and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then use a sponge to scrub any traces of mildew. After you have finished, use clean water to clean the wood. If necessary, repeat the steps.
The best way to deal with mildew is to prevent it from forming. To do this, reduce the humidity in your house using a dehumidifier or an air conditioner. Also light is another enemy of mildew. Leave the windows uncovered to let the sunlight come into your room.